hi! im new to the php community and i hope i can find my place in here.
Im new to php programming, but im a fast learner. Lately im experiencing a tricky
problem.
I have installed an apache web server, mysql and php 4 and i have run several programs
with my current configuration of my php.ini and httpd.conf.
But when i tried using mysql, the problem arises. You see, i cant create my own
database!! it says an error occured, saying access denied for user: '@localhost' to
database 'sample'
I know i have to connect first to the server. I tried issuing the command like this:
mysql> mysql -h localhost -u root -p;
but it says error in syntax. if i take out the semi colon, the shell would just add a
'->' below.
I have check mywinmysqladmin, my.ini Setup tab, and found these values that might be
of help:
user=root
password=glence
On the winmysqladmin, environment tab, these values appear:
Local host name: HYPER-GLENCE
Local user name: Lance
Local IP address: 127.0.0.1
Another, i have learnd the command SELECT USER(); the result is:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I have tried substituting the value like:
mysql> mysql -h localhost -u [EMAIL PROTECTED] -p;
mysql> mysql -h HYPER-GLENCE -u Lance -p;
mysql> mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p;
still, the same problem happens. In the tutorial, typing the command without the ';'
is shown, but '->' shows below, so if i add that symbol, still th error occurs.

The fun part is, i tried playing with the test database. First, USE TEST command, it
was successful!! I was able to play with insert, select, update and delete command and
all went well!!. It seems that my current log in was the only problem, but i cant fix
it.
Please help me. I really need this, because im on self study situation for my
education, im a graduating and i need this to shape my future!!
The following information may also help.
1. im running on a stand alone computer.
2. In my winmysqladmin service that runs at startup, in its database tab, this shows:
 [-]hyper-glence (127.0.0.1)
    -test

another that might be of interest, when my winmysqladmin runs at startup, in the
environment tab says 'Not Found Driver 3.51 Not Found'. Is this related?
Ok last, i tried using php to connect using mysql_connect, substituting the same
values that might do the trick, but the same. heres the sysntax:

<?php
$dbcnx = @mysql_connect('HYPER-GLENCE', 'Lance', 'glence');
if (!$dbcnx) {
echo( '<p>Unable to connect to the database server at this time.</p>' );
}
else {
echo("Connected");
}