If your insert really looks like what you have here, it's not complaining about the quote character. You have a syntax error. If you are inserting a value in every column, you need

  INSERT INTO table VALUES ('val1', 'val2', ...);

You left out the parentheses. See the manual for correct syntax <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/INSERT.html>.

If that isn't the problem, please post the real query and the exact error message so we don't have to guess.

Finally, ID is a perfectly good column name. See the manual for the details on allowable names <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Legal_names.html>.

Michael

Paul Metzger wrote:
Hi all, I have a question. I am working on a part inventory program for
work. I'm writing it in PHP4. I got the connection ok, the form ok and
all that. My problem came when I went to do the insert. I did INSERT
INTO table VALUES 'val1', 'val2' etc well when I ran the page, it gave
me a query error, no worries, I took the query and went to the db
server, and it pitched a fit about it there. It's putting the ` instead
of the ' We found I had a row called ID which was what we thought the
problem was, so I dropped the table and made a new one, and on the
insert is demanding the ` I want to know what. There is another couple
of pages we have running that is using the ' like every php and mysql
book I have say to use. Any Ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Paul