First let me say thank you for all the responses.
Now, let me say I'm not sure what exactly I need to
do. Explanation - Primarily I have absolutely no
experience with PHP , but I can learn, so that's
helpful :)
The thing I'm trying to figure out is what I need to
learn, because currently I'm developing in
Dreamweaver, using a set of extensions from a company
call Interakt  (this isn't a advertisement or
endorsement).  Specifically using the Impakt
extensions.  So , the bottom line is this is a PHP
-Adodb model.  Now all I know is that Adodb is an
abstraction layer to PHP.

The code that wound up working for me is the following
(the KT_id are the session variables to identify the
user):

global $DBconnection, $HTTP_SESSION_VARS;

$colname__Recordset = '-1';
if (isset($HTTP_SESSION_VARS['KT_id_xxx'])) {
  $colname__Recordset =
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS['KT_id_xxx'];
}
$query_Recordset = sprintf("SELECT * FROM LurkCerts
WHERE LurkID =
%s",
$colname__Recordset);
$Recordset =
$DBconnection->SelectLimit($query_Recordset) or
die($conn_name->ErrorMsg());
$totalRows_Recordset = $Recordset->RecordCount();

if ($totalRows_Recordset >= 10)
$tNG->setError(-1,"Too many table records for current
user!");

Bottom line I have no idea what "language" this is.
Anyway , hope this is not a confusing post.

Thank you ,
Stuart