I'm a bit of a linux newbie and a newbie to replication, so I'll try to ask this
question simply...

we're using mysql 4 to do replication, and I notice on the master I have this from
using mytop:

      Id      User         Host/IP         DB      Time    Cmd Query or State
      --      ----         -------         --      ----    --- ----------
    2670      root       localhost       rmps         0  Query show full processlist
    2668      repl      rh-mysql-4                  409 Binlog Has sent all binlog to
slave; waiting for binlog to be updated
    2666      repl      rh-mysql-2                  411 Binlog Has sent all binlog to
slave; waiting for binlog to be updated
    2667      repl      rh-mysql-3                  411 Binlog Has sent all binlog to
slave; waiting for binlog to be updated

it looks like three seperate threads are running on the master here, one for each
slave. in this particular machine, we have 2 HT processors, so 4 possible CPU threads.
if it's not done automatically by Linux (RedHat 9) or MySQL, can I configure these
threads to use their own CPU to maximize the performance? I assume MySQL or Linux will
do this automatically.

we have the same machines in use for the slaves...so can I make the slave IO thread
execute on one processor, and the slave SQL thread execute on another? does this
happen automatically as well?

thanks,
-L

Luke Crouch