Thanks Brent and Donny, hopefully this info will help get to the root of the problem
with the fulltext search.
The table structure is very, very simple:

mysql> describe product_fulltext;
+-------------+--------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field       | Type   | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+--------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| product_id  | int(9) |      | PRI | 0       |       |
| search_text | text   |      | MUL |         |       |
+-------------+--------+------+-----+---------+-------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Space usage :
Type    Usage
Data    502,455 KB
Index   440,412 KB
Total   942,867 KB

Row Statistic :
Statements  Value
Format  dynamic
Rows    3,237,981
Row length ø    158
Row size  ø     298 Bytes

MySQL 4.0.20-standard-log  Official MySQL RPM

I also calculated the average text feild length:
mysql> SELECT AVG(LENGTH(search_text)) AS avg_length FROM product_fulltext;
+------------+
| avg_length |
+------------+
|   147.2239 |
+------------+
1 row in set (33.34 sec)

Is my average text length too long?  Is MySQL 4.0.20 really that slow for fulltext
searching?  If so, how much will performance increase by upgrading to 4.1.x?  Is
upgrading difficult?

>>You may try doubling or tripling your sort_buffer and myisam_sort_buffer settings
>>and maybe you read_buffer.

My sort_buffer is 10Mb, the read_buffer is 2Mb and the myisam_sort_buffer is 64Mb ...
are these still too low?

I'm think I'm going to try to install "mytop" to get more performance info.
Currently, my temporary solution is to limit the query to 2000 rows but it still takes
4-5 seconds and doesn't give a complete picture for search results.

Thanks for any help on this,
- John