> If that were a valid SQL statement, I would agree with you. What you wrote
**only** functions through
> a MySQL-specific SQL extension that permits non-aggregated, non-grouped
columns to exist in the SELECT clause.

He is working with MySQL and that query is working in MySQL. So everything
should be fine. :)
But I agree that it is MySQL-specific query.

> I do not understand why you believe that a GROUP BY test will prove any
sort of performance gain
> for his original INSERT problem.  It took just over 24 hours to do an
INSERT IGNORE
> to add just about 1000 rows to a 77 million row table.
> What metric of that performance will your GROUP BY test help to prove?

Yes, it is unclear from my previous email. Let's look at that query:

insert into 321st_stat
select * from stat_in group by dic,niin,fr_ric,don,suf,dte_txn,sta;

Why it could be slow? Either select part is slow, either insert or both.
If select part is slow then adding KEY
(`dic`,`niin`,`fr_ric`,`don`,`suf`,`dte_txn`,`sta`) on stat_in table
should help.
If select part is fast then IMHO the problem is in number of keys and
PACK_KEYS for 321st_stat table.
Right?

Best regards,
Mikhail.

If that were a valid SQL statement, I would agree with you. What you wrote
**only** functions through a MySQL-specific SQL extension that permits
non-aggregated, non-grouped columns to exist in the SELECT clause.

I do not understand why you believe that a GROUP BY test will prove any sort
of performance gain for his original INSERT problem.  It took just over 24
hours to do an INSERT IGNORE to add just about 1000 rows to a 77 million row
table. What metric of that performance will your GROUP BY test help to
prove?

Respecfully puzzled,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator