MueR wrote:

Hello,
I've recently had my HD crash, and have reinstalled everything.
Everything seems to work fine, apart from one thing. My MySQL server
has decided to randomly set a root password.

No, it didn't. I know it seems that way, but I'm sure that's not what happened.

I have tried logging in with no password, tried it with my old
password. Tried restarting the server with the --skip-grant-tables
command, I've tried to update the user table manually.

Everything seems to work out just fine, until the moment I attempt to
login using the root account. It will give me the error # 1045
(access denied for user [EMAIL PROTECTED]).

That's not the full error message, and you've tried a lot of things, so it's hard to diagnose the problem.

Nothing seems to work. Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you know
a solution to it? I am using MySQL v 3.23.49, on a Debian system.

I'd suggest carefully following the directions in the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Resetting_permissions.html>. If that doesn't work, paste what happens into your next post.

MueRMichael