UTF-8 is just another encoding scheme.

You can store UTF-8 just fine in MySQL (using BLOB, or perhaps even
CHAR), however you cannot do much more with it beyond storing.
Comparisons aren't likely to work, character-length calculations will
not work, etc. So if all you wanna do is store and retrieve pieces of
text, then it'll work just fine. If you want the database to do
operations on the text then you'll have to find another one...

-S