Yes, I think that _may_ solve your problem. Try granting only INSERT and
UPDATE on the table then grant only SELECT permission on the ID column (I
assume it's autoincrementing?) and the user_id column. If you don't make
the user_id column visible, how will you ever discover the correct ID to
update? (Unless there is only ever 1 record per user_id in which case you
won't need an auto_incrementing ID column and you will already know which
user_id to update....hmmm....maybe I should think just a bit more before I
start typing... :-)   )

You only need to expose what would be public knowledge anyway, right? I
think your encrypted data will still be protected by the database so long
as the invaders do not get ahold of a privileged account.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine