I use a script that I run as a nightly cron job.  Here's the one I use:

---

#!/bin/sh

DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`

cd /var/lib/mysql-backup
/usr/bin/mysqldump --user=backup --password=Password --quick --lock-tables
 --all-databases | gzip >"mysql.$DATE.gz"

cd /var/lib/mysql-backup/logs
mv update.log "update.$DATE.log"
/usr/bin/mysqladmin --user=backup --password=Password flush-logs
gzip "update.$DATE.log"

---

Obviously you'd want this to be readable only by root, since it contains
passwords.  The "backup" user will need global SELECT and RELOAD privilages.

You could easily modify this to FTP or SCP the files when they're done.  If
you don't care about the update logs you can simplify a bit and eliminate
the RELOAD privilage, but I personally find them useful to have.  (With a
backup and the update log that follows it, you can restore to any point by
restoring the backup, editing the log, then rerunning it against the
server.)