Perhaps a casting function would help you:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Cast_Functions.html

If case-sensitivity isn't an issue, you may want to consider converting from char(8) binary to just char(8).

Cheers,

--V

walt wrote:
We've run into a problem where binary char column types crash our c++ application when migrating from RedHat 7.3 to RedHat ES. Is there a way to specify the data type to be returned in the select statement. In the below example, selecting office_id will crash the app if it's left as a binary column.

I'm looking for something like
select char<office_id> from office;

create table office ( office_id char(8) binary not null, office_name varchar(50) );

Thanks!