Is it a too many connections or Host blocked because of many connection
erros? If it is the later you have reached max_connect_errors and need to
issue flush-hosts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Winston
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 9/1/04 11:02 AM
Subject: bad "too many connections" error (os x)

Hi-

We've been running into a pretty serious problem for the past several
versions of mysql 4.0 running on OS X (both client and server).  Every
once in a while we wake up to find the "too many connections" error
coming up.  There really aren't too many connections (we have our max
set to 99) - it's the type of message that appears when a wrong
password is used too many times (and I'm 100% sure this isn't
happening).

Now, the problem is that once this message starts appearing we can't
even connect with mysqladmin as root.  That "extra connection" that
mysql promises doesn't exist.  The only way we can shut down mysql is
to perform a 'kill -9' (then restart the server and repair all the
tables).

And we can't reproduce this problem at will.  This is driving us nuts.

Before I report this as a bug I wanted to know if anyone else has seen
something like this or has any suggestions of how to narrow down the
problem.

Thanks!
Michael