David,
I haven't ever attempted to delete the slave user on the master, and since I
only run replication on 4.1 boxes and not 4.0 boxes, I won't be able to help
much.  But I would probably submit it to http://bugs.mysql.com and they can
verify that it is a bug.  But they will probably not recommend deleting the
slave user again.  :)

Donny