Are you using the mysql client to connect? If so, you can use the -h and -D flags:
mysql -h hostname [-u username -p -P port] -D databasename

The -D flag isn't even necessary. The command above is equivalent to this one:
mysql -h hostname [-u username -p -P port] databasename

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql.html

If you're writing your own client, you chould check the API documentation for the language you're using.

If you're using a completely different client, check the docs for it.

Be one with your manual. Or be one with your many manuals. I leave it to you to figure out that existential math.

Cheers,

--V

Brian Menke wrote:
I'm trying to specify a host name and database name to do an update to a
table. I can't quite figure out what the correct syntax is? Is it something
like:

USE [EMAIL PROTECTED] I have tried several permutations of that but
can't quite seem to get the syntax just right.

Thanks.

-Brian