MySQL is using the index in both of those. The first query
where changed < 78900000; should be very fast since explain says it
only has to find one row. The second query, after mysql does a range
scan on the index has to still examine 11551351 rows to find a max
value.

The last query SELECT MAX(changed) FROM archived_stats; hits an
optimization inside
mysql so it can just read the max value out of the index. (MySQL
caches min/max/count for myisam tables)

-Eric

Eric Bergen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]