Paul DuBois wrote:

>At 16:14 +0800 9/1/04, Unreal HSHH wrote:
>
>> got this error and broken when making mysql 4.1.4-gamma
>>
>> automake-1.7: not found
>> WARNING:
>>   `automake-1.7' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on your
>>   system.  You might have modified some files without having the
>>   proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README' file,
>>   it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing
>>   this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
>>   some other package would contain this missing `automake-1.7' program.

To give some context, this happens (for me, at least) in cmd-line-utils/libedit.

>> But I already have automake-1.9

I have automake-1.6.  (Mac OS X, 10.3.5, if it matters.)

>> autoconf-2.59_2
>> automake-1.9
>> bison-1.875_3
>> gmake-3.80_2
>> libtool-1.5.6_1
>> m4-1.4.1
>
>I see something similar.
>
>If I do this first:
>
>(cd innobase; aclocal;autoheader;autoconf;automake)
>aclocal;autoheader;autoconf;automake
>
>And then run configure, the build succeeds.  Does that work for you?
>
>--
>Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
>Madison, Wisconsin, USA
>MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Yes, it works for me, but we shouldn't have to do that, right?

I think this is a compounding of 2 problems:

Problem 1: configure has automake-1.7 hard-coded, so a build will not succeed if automake is needed unless you have precisely that version (or at least appear to). INSTALL-SOURCE says any automake >= 1.5 will do, by the way. Note that this is why missing is giving the generic "something is missing" error message rather than the specific "automake is missing" message.

Problem 2: Something is missing/wrong in the source (presumably in cmd-line-utils/libedit) that triggers the need for automake, exposing proble 1. I note that mysql 4.1.3 also has automake-1.7 hard-coded, but I did not run into this problem building 4.1.3.

Michael