If my company wants to get the best-performing fastest platform for a
MySQL server, what would it be these days?  Opteron?  Dual?  Quad?

And on a related note...

If a 64-bit CPU, then I'm assuming it would need an operating system
designed for that 64-bit CPU, to get best performance, right?

I know that OpenBSD has an amd64 version and that the OpenBSD
developers seem to say that Opteron is their favorite (and
most-currently-developed) CPU.   I've used OpenBSD in the past and
like it a lot.

Is anyone here using MySQL on OpenBSD+Opteron in a high-load situation?