----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark C. Stafford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "MySQL List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: Without grant option?

> > Sure, simply write two grants:
> >
> > GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE
> > ON test.* TO 'jdoe'@'192.168.%' WITH GRANT OPTION;
> >
> > GRANT DELETE
> > ON test.* TO 'jdoe'@'192.168.%';
> >
> > Rhino
>
> Thanks, Rhino...but the only difference between what you suggest and
> what I did seems to be where the linefeed appears in the second grant.
>
> What do you get when you run these commands after those grants?
>
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> SHOW GRANTS FOR 'jdoe'@'192.168.%';

I don't know. I didn't try it, I just suggested it as something that would
probably work.

My main database is DB2 and that *would* work in DB2; since MySQL imitates
much of what happens in DB2 - due to using the same SQL standards, not
because they are trying to imitate DB2 - I just assumed it might work the
same in MySQL.

Regardless of what appears in the Grant tables, do the permissions work the
way you want them to if you give the privileges the way I suggested? I gave
some privileges to a new userid yesterday (in MySQL) and found that the User
table showed the userid but had all the grant columns set to N, even for the
privileges I granted. Despite that the userid worked when I used it. I
suspect that the Grant tables don't always reflect reality in MySQL....

Rhino