At 13:19 2004-09-08, you wrote:

I am going to amalgamate both Your messages.

Hi Tomasz

There are two MySQL servers - the one at the shared host and the new
one that I just set-up on the dedicated.  We need to move the MySQL
database from the shared host to our dedicated.  I am able to connect to the
old one but not the new one.

Let's give them names: let's call the old one A and the new one B. I believe A lives at the hosting company and B lives in Your office (for now), later You will want to colocate it. Correct so far?

Now, to verify the versions, at the mysql> prompt execute:
SHOW VARIABLES;
close to the end of the list there will be a version variable - find it for both hosts - it shouldn't be a problem, but let's try to eliminate that possibility now.

Grep is not recognized when I try to do netstat.

OK, You might want to install cygwin tools, but let's not worry about this now. Just do 'netstat -an|more' and look for a line that in the second column (local address) has B's IP address, then colon, and 3306. If You only find '127.0.0.1:3306', B is only listening on loopback. If You find no rows with :3306, MySQL is not running (at least not on a standard port).

I was told the MySQL database at the shared company is 4.0.  Again, I can
connect to that one.  The new one is 4.0 as well.

See above, verify.

I have created a user and allowed that user remote access.

I presume on B, right?

grant all privileges on text.* to 'user'@'%' identified by 'footman's using grant access;

1. You _did_ create database text, right?
2. I do hope that password is a typo: it was 'footmans', right?
3. I'm perplexed by this USING clause... Did You mean WITH GRANT OPTION? I'll assume so.
3. let me rewrite it a bit: is _this_ what You actually issued:
mysql> GRANT ALL ON text.* TO 'user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'footmans' WITH GRANT OPTION;

After You do that, verify:
mysql> SHOW GRANTS FOR 'user'@'%';

and, more importantly: