Even the most recent version of the ODBC drivers act as though they are
pre-4.1 clients. Now that you know that, what you read in this article
should make better sense:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

It contains links to other details on the issue and some suggestions to
work around your problem.

Let's all say it together: "The manual is your friend"  ;-D

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine