----- Original Message -----
From: "Monet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "mysql" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 2:13 PM
Subject: WHY this query keeps failure?

> Hello,
>
> I was working on a table, doing a simple update on
> table. Query is:
> Update temp
> SET Q1 = 14,
>     REVIEWCOMMENTS =
> CASE WHEN REVIEWCOMMENTS='WHO2' THEN ''
> WHEN REVIEWCOMMENTS LIKE '%,WHO2' THEN TRIM(TRAILING
> ',WHO2' FROM REVIEWCOMMENTS)
> WHEN REVIEWCOMMENTS LIKE 'WHO2,%' THEN TRIM(LEADING
> 'WHO2,' FROM REVIEWCOMMENTS)
>                           ELSE
> REPLACE(REVIEWCOMMENTS, 'WHO2,', '')
>                      END
> WHERE QID IN
> (3029,3041,3053,3076,3120,3121,3128,3133,3134);
>
> It runs well, shows how many rows was affected. Then I
> did query to pull out all updated records:
> select qid, qd5,q1, reviewcomments
> from temp
> where qid IN
> (3029,3041,3053,3076,3120,3121,3128,3133,3134)
> order by qid asc;
>
> There is no records return. The table is empty.

Do you mean that your *result set* from the query is empty? Or that the
*table* you are reading from (temp) is empty? You said 'table' but I *think*
you mean 'result set', right? If temp is empty, your result set from the
Select will certainly be empty; that should be obvious: the question is WHY
temp is empty.

Your table, temp, should not be empty as a result of your update statement
because Update does not remove rows and your Update didn't change the 'qid'
value. If Update changed 9 rows and MySQL told you that 9 rows were changed,
you should still have at least those 9 rows in the table after the update
has completed. You can verify that by doing:

select count(*) from temp;

immediately after running the update. If it returns a value of 0, your table
is empty. Otherwise there are rows in the table.

> This happened second time. So I'm wondering it might
> have some problem with my query.

I don't see anything in the Update or the Select that explains this problem.

Rhino