The uniqueness constraint would only be enforced during an INSERT or an
UPDATE. If your table is read-only, declaring the index as UNIQUE will be
overkill.  I can't tell you about any kind of performance hit during
reading but I try to follow the maxim "don't ask for it if you won't need
it". I would use just a straight index.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine