Hi,

We are now in the last phases of testing a new system on Mysql. We are using all
MyISAM tables, on Linux.

We found that after the mysql server is restarted, our application is very slow for a
couple of minutes. We understand that this is because the caches have to fill up first
- the mysql key cache (we made it big enough to hold all the indexes) and the OS cache.

My question: is there any way we can preload the caches so that we don't experience
this warm-up time?

Also, we found that if the server is not active for some time, say overnight, then
again we experience the warm-up time, even though the mysql server was not restarted.
This leads to totally unpredictable performance. At very low loads, the times are the
worse!!!

If anyone had a similar experience and/or possible suggestions on how to solve this
problem, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tamar Rosen

www.gurunet.com