At 17:00 -0600 9/10/04, René Fournier wrote:
I've got a SELECT statement that is returning the data I want, but not in the right order (and I don't know why...). Let's say there are two tables, People and History. Some records in People have corresponding records in History, but not all--so I need a LEFT JOIN TO connect history.people_id to people.id. So far, so good. But I want to order the list according to the timestamp column in history (history.time_sec), and this does not happen: Records are returned, but not in the right order. Here's my query:

SELECT *
FROM people
LEFT JOIN history ON people.id = history.people_id
GROUP BY people.id
ORDER BY history.time_sec DESC

It seems I can sort correctly on a field in people, but not on a field in history-is that because it is a left-joined table?

We might be able to give you an answer if you show some results and indicate why you believe they are incorrect.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA