At 16:58 -0700 9/10/04, bruce wrote:
paul....

i do a

select ID from hTBL group by type

and i still only get a single row for each type, where i would expect to get
the ~5000 rows, grouped around the 3 different types.

Hmm. I see my previous answer said "with" and should have said "without".

If you use GROUP BY without selecting the value of any aggregate functions,
you achieve the same effect as SELECT DISTINCT.

what's going on????

thanks...

-bruce

-----Original Message----- From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 4:36 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: group by issue...??