I'm having a hard time getting my arms around how a
system's date process should work.  Interested in
knowing how a real, online system that delivers
services or products to customers might work.  Right
now I'll just be operating in North America.

As an example - a user does online banking.  A bill is
due on the 24th of the month. Payment received after
the 24th is marked late.  The company the bill is owed
too, their system is on the east coast, New York.  The
payee is out in Los Angeles.  The payee is making
their payment online at 11:45pm, yet in New York it's
now 2:45 on the 25th.  Ok that is the scenario.

Now, I'm thinking there are a few possibilities for
work arounds.  One would be that the date input is
done via some javascript, so the time marked on the
payment is relative to the payee's time zone.  Second,
perhaps there is some way to correlate one's location
to the time the system stamps for payment.  Perhaps,
with this method, some complex sql statement is doing
date / time calcs to properly stamp the entry.
Or, most companies use "one time zone" to base their
business around.
I'm sure there are varieties of methods used.
Interested in hearing about some of them at least.

Thank you,
Stuart