I will say it AGAIN :-(

The ODBC drivers (your "client" if you go through them to access the
database) ARE NOT 4.1+ CLIENTS.  The most recent  version shows that they
are 3.xx.xx drivers which means that you are using a pre-4.1 client to
access a post 4.1 server. The articles you read describe how to do permit
this kind of access.

I think the easiest work-around is to change the password on the account
you use with the ODBC drivers.  Assuming you are connecting with the
account "odbcuser" and the password "fixme" you would need a statement
like:

update mysql.user set password = OLD_PASSWORD('fixme') where user =
'odbcuser';

Then you will be able to authenticate.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator