Don't know a whole lot about this but - Is the data escaped when you inserted it? Maybe one of these options for the mysqldump would help

--fields-enclosed-by=...
--fields-optionally-enclosed-by=...
--fields-escaped-by=...
or
--set-charset ...

Respectfully,
Ligaya Turmelle

Juan Alvarado wrote:
I am generating a backup of a database using mysqldump and using that dumped file to repopulate another database.
The dump and import process work just fine, BUT I am having some problems in my application with some enconding issues.
For example, one of the rows that mysqldump outputs is the following:
INSERT INTO ap_step VALUES (9,'Determine if former employee’s UID’s are re-assigned. And if so, determine if a process exists for evaluating user rights.',3,3);
As you can see the second column has some text with some single quotes.
When I import the generated dumped file into the new database, I lose the single quotes in the text and this is causing some UTF-8 encoding problems in my application.
select ap_step from ap_step where ap_step_id =9;
| ap_step |
| Determine if former employees UIDs are re-assigned. And if so, determine if a process exists for evaluating user rights. |

You will notice from the above query that the single quotes are gone. Whenever I remove this row from the table, my application works just fine. This is why I am almost certain that there is some encoding issues here. I need to be able to load my data back into the new database exactly as it is coming out of the old one.
One thing that I do want to note is that the dumped file is generated in Windows XP and it is loaded into a new database in a Unix environment.
If anyone could please point out some ideas I would appreciate it as this is basically a show stopper for us right now.
Thanks in advance