On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:10:27 +0200, Marten Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> imagine the following setup:
>
> - a mysql-server
> - a client on a different host
>
> Privileges on the mysql-server are setup in a manner, that users can
> connect from every host, but not from localhost (and they don't even
> have access to localhost). root on the other hand is allowed to connect
> from localhost only, but without giving him a password. Is this a
> security problem? Is there any way to trick the mysql-server, so that a
> remote-client can claim to be a localhost-client and thus can connect as
> mysql-user root?

Why not just set the permissions correctly with no 'tricks' ?

You can lock down MySQL to exactly who needs access from exactly which
hosts with (or without) passwords, even the tables and databases to be
accessed can be restricted:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GRANT.html

I would never allow anyone except myself to connect to my MySQL server
as the root MySQL user.  I usually don't even do it myself.  I make a
new 'root' user named something else besides root, and I add seperate
users and permissions for each database.  Unless it's a dev server
behind a firewall or something like that I tend to be pretty
restrictive.

--
Greg Donald
http://gdconsultants.com/