On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:56:55AM -0700, V. M. Brasseur wrote:
> *I* understand that Unicode utf8 support does not happen until version
> 4.1 (I can read the manual), but there are some in the office who are
> skeptical and somehow believe that there is support for it in earlier
> versions (as early as 3.23, according to them).
>
> To set all of our minds at ease, could someone else please confirm or
> deny for me that MySQL does not support utf8 prior to version 4.1?  I
> don't believe I'm wrong in this case, but if I am I would very much like
> to know.

MySQL versions before 4.1 do not support UTF-8.

It is, however, possible to simply store UTF-8 data in a string field
(VARCHAR, CHAR, TEXT, etc) in those versions. You simply won't be able
to get the correct ordering in ORDER BY clauses, and full-text search
will not always work as expected.

Jim Winstead
MySQL Inc.