Hi,

I have a configuration with 1 master and 2 slaves; all servers are correctly running mysql-max-4.0.20.

All is fine, but I'm observing a strange usage of logs.
On one of the slaves I have:

mysql> show slave status \G
         Master_Host: idb
         Master_User: root
         Master_Port: 3306
       Connect_retry: 60
     Master_Log_File: db-bin.3322
 Read_Master_Log_Pos: 1013397930
      Relay_Log_File: www4-relay-bin.009
       Relay_Log_Pos: 174693397
Relay_Master_Log_File: db-bin.3322
    Slave_IO_Running: Yes
   Slave_SQL_Running: Yes
     Replicate_do_db:
 Replicate_ignore_db: mysql
          Last_errno: 0
          Last_error:
        Skip_counter: 0
 Exec_master_log_pos: 1013397930
     Relay_log_space: 174693397
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

and the relay log is 170MB. I don't want relay logs to grow so big; what I'd like Mysql
to do is to destroy the relay-log file as soon as the SQL thread is finished. (usually relay logs
grow up to 4GB in 1GB chunks, so this example doesn't show my problem in all its extent).

Similar problem on the master (db):

-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql      196122 Jan 23  2004 db-bin.3319
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql    1073772277 Sep 13 14:55 db-bin.3320
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql    1073773581 Sep 15 10:18 db-bin.3321
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql    1019108019 Sep 17 09:08 db-bin.3322
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql          42 Sep 15 10:18 db-bin.index

There are 3 GB of logs that no one needs anymore. Since the master knows that all
the slaves are correctly aligned up to a certain MASTER_LOG_POS, can't
it automatically remove the logs up to that position?

On another slave where I set set-variable = max_relay_log_size=25000000 set-variable = relay_log_space_limit=50000000

max_relay_log_size seems to be respected, but the problem remains:
after having the data inserted in the DB those logs are useless.

Can't Mysql automatically purge logs when they are not needed anymore?

Thanks,

--
Nico Sabbi - Officine Digitali - Bologna
Tel. 051 - 4187565