Hi

I have been running a master slave replication setup for the last few
years on mysql versions 3.23.36 (which was bundled with redhat 7.1 back
in the day).

Anyway, I finally convinced our boss to purchase a new server and we've
ended up installing mandrake 10 which comes complete with mysql 4.0.18

The new machine is to take over the role as the master, and I want to
keep the old slave but bind it to the new machine.

So far I've done the following:
-- configure mysql [4.0.23] on new master
-- stop mysql on old master and old slave.
-- copy database across from /var/lib/mysql on old slave to new master
/var/lib/mysql
-- reconfigure my.cnf on old slave so that master-id is the server-id of
the new master
-- enable bin log etc on new master
-- restart new master
-- and grants for replication user on new master
-- restart mysql on new master and slave

Unfortunately the slave doesn't seem to happy with the new master and
I'm getting the following messages:

040919  8:55:29  Slave: reconnected to master '[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3306',replication
resumed in log 'dengue-bin-004' at position 4
040919  8:55:29  Error reading packet from server: Could not find first log file name
in binary log index file (read_errno 0,server_errno=1236)

And sure enough, the new master (4.0.xx) doesn't have the expected
dengue-bin.index file in /var/lib/mysql

At the moment I'm assuming this is a difference between 4.0x and 3.23x
versions.  Does anyone know if its possible to reconfigure the master to
observe the old replication setup?  Or do I need to look at upgrading
the slave to version 4 (which leads to the next question: does anyone
fancy my chances of getting mysql 4 built and running under redhat 7.1
:) ??)

Cheers
Tim

--