Depending on how exact the returned values need to be, and how much data you have to
sift through, you could do. ( perl example )
$job=$dbh->quote($job.'%');
$city=$dbh->quote($city.'%');
$start=$dbh->quote($start.'%");
.
.
.

$select = "SELECT * from myfile where jobtitle like $job and city like $city and start like $start and industry like $industry and state like $state and taxterm like $taxterm";
.
.
do the actual SQL call here.

Stuart Felenstein wrote:

I'm back, trying to figure my way through a somewhat
confusing set of conditons.
Sort of doing a sanity check here.
First explanation:
I've put together a search (the database) form that
has 6 inputs.
Just to clarify, the fields are 1-JobTitle
2-City
3-Start
4-Industry
5-State
6-TaxTerm.

The idea is that a user can choose one , two or all
fields to put criteria into. Regardless, whichever
one they choose , there should be a records return. More criteria of course adds more refinement.