FayeC SQL wrote:

I am extremely frustrated with the root passwordproblem. I read the
manual and followed the instructions but it just won't work.
I tried setting a newpassword but then when I insert the new passoword
it says the password it wrong.....
In any case...I want to uninstall MySQL and try a new clean install.
What would be the procedure to do a VERY clean install?

Thanks in advance,

FayeC

Faye,
It might be useful if you send what syntax you used to update/create the password and what syntax you used when trying to log in. Of couse don't send the "real" password.
ie -
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('bla') where user='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit;
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp] mysql -u root -p