On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:31:03 -0500,  wrote:

>At 10:04 AM 9/23/2004, you wrote:
>>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:03:08 +0100,  wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I want to swap the data in two fields
>> >
>> >eg
>> >  t1.beds to t1.beds2
>> >and
>> > t2.beds2 to t1.beds
>> > do I need to store one of the fields temporarily?
>>
>>Hey chums you normally get me an answer in minutes, is my question too easy?
>>zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
>>--
>
>zzapper,
>         Gee, have you paid your bill yet?<g>
>
>The only thing I've been able to come up with is:
>
>update table1 a, table1 b set a.beds1=b.beds2, a.beds2=b.beds1 where
>a.rcd_id=b.rcd_id
>
>You need to create a transitory value for one of the variables and this is
>done by joining the table onto itself (the "b" table won't get updated as
>table "a" gets updated). This solution should work on any column type.
>
>There is probably a faster more efficient way of doing it (without a table
>join), but only if we knew what the column types were. If they were String
>then perhaps subscripting out the strings would be possible.
>
>Mike
>
>P.S. Now about your bill... :)
Mike, cheque in the post!
Sorry about my impertinence, I think I'm going to be a coward and create an extra
column for the
transitory value, as it's a one off operation. Just had a thought (dangerous I know)
but couldn't I
just rename the fields as that would do the same thing?

zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s%s*%CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne%|:%s)[R-T]) )Ig|:norm G1VGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips