On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:20:39 -0400, Jesse W. Asher
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses, but this isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm
> looking for a way to make a field or record unchangeable for ANYONE,
> including the system administrator.  That way, I can have a fairly high
> level of assurance that the record is valid and hasn't been tweaked in
> any way.
>
> Anyway to do this within the database itself?   Thanks!!

I did a quick google, and turned this up:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/myisampack.html

If you pack the database, it can't be written to until it's unpacked.
Seems a little labor intensive, and it's table scoped, so you can't
just specify certain fields/rows.  Also, it's only designed for MyISAM
tables.

Another way to keep an eye on changes would be to generate a checksum
column, or table.  Take the fields you want to remain unchanged,
generate an MD5 (for example) checksum on it, and store it.  Then
check the data against it when you're ready to use it.

These don't seem to be quite what you're looking for, but hopefully
it's a step in the right direction.