On 23-Sep-2004 Eamon Daly wrote:
> I'm interested in this, too. We have a logging table that
> sees hundreds of rows per second, and we do a ton of monthly
> reports. We just bit the bullet and added an indexed DATE
> column. Is there a better strategy?

I do something similar but with MEDIUMINT.

 hittime DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00',
 prd MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
 KEY idx_p (prd),

UPDATE tbl SET prd=EXTRACT(YEAR_MONTH FROM hittime) ...

Then query it with
SELECT ... WHERE prd=200408 etc.

--
Don Read                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to