I have successfully used this technique on a RedHat server.  (I have
also seen it fail on Mac OSX running VirtualPC.)

What are you using to access MySQL?  The command line?  (Make sure
it's configured to use port 3306 and not looking for a local socket
file.)

What are the errors given?  Can you telnet to localhost:3306?

Seth