thank you, this does return the proper date field for the item_id, however the rest of the fields of the records are still from the first record in the table.

How would you make it so that the entire row is the one that contains the earliest data field ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 2:47 PM
Subject: RE: SELECT earliest unique records

[snip] I have a table that contains a item_id field (non unique index) id field and a date field.

How would you go about selecting rows from the table (single row for
each
item_id with the earliest date field for that item_id).

If I use group by item_id the date field will be whatever the first date

field it had, so ordering by it at that point will not yeald the
intended
results.
[/snip]

Use MAX(date field)