In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've tried to find references to if there are any design flaws with using
> multiple databases or not however was unable to locate anything (but I was
> told by a previous co-worker that there were performance hits).

> Are there any performance hits or design flaws by separating a large
> database into separate databases then cross-database joining the tables?
> (these tables have anywhere between 1m and 5m+ rows)

Performance hits: AFAIK no.  Design flaws: yes, absolutely!

Although MySQL lets you get away with it, don't do it - other DBMSs
prohibit it, and rightly so.  If two tables have something in common
(as expressed by a JOIN), they should be in the same database.  If you
need a finer-grained structuring mechanism, some DBMSs have SCHEMAs.
MySQL doesn't, but you could encode the schema name into the table
name, something like "CREATE TABLE myschema_table1 (...)".