I have a Web app that uses PHP4 to connect to a mySQL server (3.22.26) on
Red Hat 6.0 (Dual Pentium III).

The site is very popular and every once and a while PHP can't connect to
mySQL because of "Too Many Connections".

I log in to the server and I am unable to execute a mysqladmin shutdown
because it claims it can't find the mysql.sock file... Trying to login via
mysql reports no more connections as well.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot this. I increased the
max connections to 150 but that didn't really seem to help. I assume there
is a deadlock somewhere, probably with an INSERT?

What's the best way to figure this out if I can't get into the server at all
when it locks up?

Hunter