Anne Ramey wrote:

I had a server hacked last night and they did alot a damage, but I think I've got just about everything back up as normal...including a brand new mysql installation (4.0.21). My problem is this. The 4.0.21 or the old 4.0.20 will not start using mysqld_safe and will start with mysqld if I don't run it as root. there is not --user=something in my my.cnf which would prevent it from running as root. I also don't understand why mysqld will run, but mysqld_safe won't. mysqld_safe starts up and shuts right back down again without logging any errors:

040928 08:12:17  mysqld started
040928 08:12:17  mysqld ended

this is all my log says. Any ideas? Has anyone seem this before? if not, can someone point me into the best way to debug this? They both worked fine before the hack.

Thanks,
Anne

Does your system have a 'mysql' user, and does mysql have write permission to the data directory.
If the mysql daemon can not write to the log file, it temrinates.