I usually create an index for each criteria being checked against in the SQL
statements.

For example, for this query

Select * from products where ProductID = 'aeg8557'

I'd create an index on ProductID.  The same thing applies if you're pulling
data from multiple tables.

For this query:

Select products.ID, products.Title, categories.Title from products,
categories where products.ID = '5' AND products.CategoryID = categories.ID

I'd make sure that products.ID, products.CategoryID, and categories.ID all
have an index.

-Ed