Machine (operating system) rights and database rights are two, very
separate, permissions systems.  MySQL maintains it's own access control
lists, separate and distinct, from your operating system.  You cannot see
any other tables when you use your database tool because you are
authenticating to the database using an underprivileged login.

By default, a new installation (or a clean re-installation, like yours) of
MySQL has an administrative login "root" that has no password.  Try using
that account next time you connect with "mysqlshow" and you will have full
privileges. It is one of the first administrative tasks of a new
installation is to reset the root password to something (anything) to
close that security loophole.

Here is some background reading on the issues:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Post-installation.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Default_privileges.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Privilege_system.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Morten Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/29/2004 05:36:54
AM: