Hi,

I just encountered a similar problem on one of my production servers
this morning.  (I'm still investigating the cause.)  After doing a
quick bit of Google-searching, this solved my problem:

mysqladmin -u <username> -p flush-tables

By the way:  All directories in /var/lib/mysql should have 700
permissions (owned my the mysql user) and everything within those
directories should be 660 (owned by the mysql user and mysql group).

(This was on a FreeBSD 4.8 server running MySQL Server 3.23.58)

Hope this helps,
Seth