Hello.

I'm having a problem where I seem to need to order a table before applying group by
(or
distinct?) in my query.

Here is a simplified table structure example:
ID  USER  HOST  TIME

ID = Primary Key

I would like to do the following in ONE query, if possible:
I am looking to retrieve the LAST time 10 UNIQUE users were registered in the table
(user+host+time). These users should be the last 10 people to be inserted into the
table
(each user can appear various times in the table, like in a log). At the same time, I
would like
to retrieve the TOTAL NUMBER of times each of these users appear in the table, but
this is
not very important.

This was the query I adopted until noticing it had a severe problem:

select user, host, time, count(user) as times
from userlog where user!=''
group by user
order by time desc
limit 10;

The problem is that the TIME associated with each person isn't the LAST TIME a
registry
was done for the user. This makes me think that I might need to order the TIME column
before doing the GROUP BY, but I do no know how (and it might not even be the solution
the problem!).

I do not know if I managed to express myself very well, but if anyone is willing to
help, I
would of course clarify things if necessary.

Remi Mikalsen

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]