Right now on a form I have the instructions below, I'm pretty
comfortable with using PHP.

I'm thinking of replacing the text below with some self-explainatory
radio buttons. Is it as easy as just putting "+" in front of each word
if "all words" would be checked. Or if the radio button "phrase" was
checked, then simply put quotes around what the user submits - It seems
easy - but I was expecting it to be difficult to get a polished
interface. btw, The search works nicely when done manually w/the
instructions.

"search field" here
"submit button" here

+ The word is mandatory in all rows returned.

- The word cannot appear in any row returned.

 () Used to group words into subexpressions.

 * The wildcard, indicating zero or more characters. It can only appear
   at the end of a word.

 " Anything enclosed in the double quotes is taken as a whole (so you
 can match phrases, for example).