That is correct.

Web programmers must supply their own login and security measures.
MySQL is a tool used by the web server. THe web server does the login in
the
manner the web programmer provides. The host will be the host the CGI is
executing
from. THe user will be the user the CGI script provides.
The access privileges will be what ever the CGI script allows, limited
by
the privileges granted to the host and user CGI uses when connecting.