Use Alter table Disable Keys, before loading the Data to your system,
and then Alter table enable keys,
This way you wont have to recreate your indexes....

-----Original Message-----
From: Ananth Reddy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 10:08 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Speeding up index creation

We have MyISAM table with 150 million rows. The data is being laoded
from other system.
When I load data without indices, it is fast (30 minutes) but creating
index is taking 15 hours.
Load data with indices is taking 30 hours (worse than the other option)

I am wondering if there is a way to speed up the creation of index on a
MyISAM table.
I am specially looking for any memory parameters in config file or any
tweaking at linux level.

Appreciate any help

TIA

ananth