From: Christopher L. Everett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 6:23 PM
To: 'Mysql List'
Subject: Re: Repeated corruption with MySQL 4.1.x using FULLTEXT indexes

Ed Lazor wrote:

> [...]
I can generate the problem on much smaller data sets, in the mid tens of
thousands of records rather than the millions of records.

I'll do a memtest86 run on the development boxes overnight, but as I did
that
just after I installed linux on them and used the linux badram patch to
exclude
iffy sections of RAM, I don't think thats a problem.

>One system had hard drive media slowly failing and this wasn't obvious
until
>we ran several full scan chkdsks.

3 hard drives all of different brand, model & size, and the problem
happening
in the same place on both?  Not likely.

>The funniest situation was where enough dust had collected in the CPU fan
>cause slight over heating, which resulted in oddball errors.

This isn't a problem on my box.  I have a 1.5 pound copper heatsink with a
90mm heat sensitive fan and a fan+heatsink for the hard drive, and I saw
myisamchk consistently generate the same error in the same place over and
over.  The sensors report my CPU running in the 45 degree centigrade range
on my box pretty consistently.

>In each of these cases, everything would work fine until the system would
>start processing larger amounts of data.  Small amounts of corruption began
>to show up that seemed to build on itself.
>
>This may or may not relate to what you're dealing with, but maybe it will
>help =)

I'll look, but I don't think that's the problem.   I'm going to see how
small
of a data set will cause this problem and file a bug report.

--
Christopher L. Everett

Chief Technology Officer                               www.medbanner.com
MedBanner, Inc.                                          www.physemp.com